Jean-Marie's bookshelf: read

Mistress by Mistake
The Bride
The Winter Sea
Three Weeks in Paris
The Secret
The Duke's perfect wife
The Many Sins of Lord Cameron
Lady Isabella's scandalous marriage
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie


Jean-Marie's favorite books »

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Mariana


Mariana
by Susanna Kearsley

Goodreads
   The first time Julia Beckett saw Greywethers she was only five, but she knew that it was her house. And now that she’s at last become its owner, she suspects that she was drawn there for a reason.
   As if Greywethers were a portal between worlds, she finds herself transported into seventeenth-century England, becoming Mariana, a young woman struggling against danger and treachery, and battling a forbidden love.
    Each time Julia travels back, she becomes more enthralled with the past...until she realizes Mariana’s life is threatening to eclipse her own, and she must find a way to lay the past to rest or lose the chance for happiness in her own time.

Shelfari
The first time Julia Beckett saw Greywethers she was only five, but she knew that it was her house. And now that she’s at last become its owner, she suspects that she was drawn there for a reason.
   As if Greywethers were a portal between worlds, she finds herself transported into seventeenth-century England, becoming Mariana, a young woman struggling against danger and treachery, and battling a forbidden love.
   Each time Julia travels back, she becomes more enthralled with the past...until she realizes Mariana’s life is threatening to eclipse her own, and she must find a way to lay the past to rest or lose the chance for happiness in her own time.

My thoughts
     Susanna Kearsley is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite authors.  She just has such a way of drawing me into the story and creating characters that become part of my soul.   Seamlessly transporting the reader between the past and present.   Having personally had flashes of things I cannot explain,  could totally immerse myself into "Mariana".   Once again, like "The Winter Sea", I find myself craving more and not wanting the story to end.  Feeling a bit of empty loneliness upon reaching the final page. 
      Initially the transitions into the past confused me and I found myself stumbling a bit.  But, I was in fact much like the main character, Julia, shocked and confused by the occurrences that were taking over her mind, body, heart and soul.  As time goes on, I,  like Julia, found it much easier to maneuver the flashes of the past.  I imagine all part of Kearsley's  pulling the reader into the story and characters. 
     A definite 5 stars.. or 5 big hearts.  One I will definitely own in all its forms.   Wish that is were available on Audible.com  :(   
 I will most assuredly be dropping them HELPFUL HINTS :)

2 comments:

  1. adding to my "to read". I don't think I've read her before. Nice review Jean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I have really enjoyed this author... Reading "The Rose Garden" right now.

      Delete