Jean-Marie's bookshelf: read

Mistress by Mistake
The Bride
The Winter Sea
Three Weeks in Paris
The Secret
The Duke's perfect wife
The Many Sins of Lord Cameron
Lady Isabella's scandalous marriage
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie


Jean-Marie's favorite books »

Sunday, September 2, 2012

THE WINTER SEA by Susanna Kearsley


The Winter Sea
by Susanna Kearsley

Per Shelfari
History has all but forgotten the spring of 1708, when an invasion fleet of French and Scottish soldiers nearly succeeded in landing the exiled James Stewart in Scotland to reclaim his crown.

Now, Carrie McClelland hopes to turn that story into her next bestselling novel. Settling herself in the shadow of Slains Castle, she creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write.
But when she discovers her novel is more fact than fiction, Carrie wonders if she might be dealing with ancestral memory...making her the only living person who can know the truth of what did happen all those years ago - a tale of love and loyalty...and ultimate betrayal.

The story of an epic love that transcends both time and place from an award-winning author. "A deeply engaging romance and a compelling historical novel . . . Susanna Kearsley has written a marvelous book."--Bernard Cornwell.

Per ME :)
Probably THE best book I have read in a very long, and that is HUGE, as I read 3 books in a week.  I have run the gammet of emotions with this book,... I find my self emotionally spent and in need of a respit..   Normally, I am ravenous to start my next literary find, have many waiting in the wings... I do not see this as a bad thing...  Please do not interpret as a slight to this wonderful book... for it is not.   I have this feeling of being at peace and in need of contemplation ... to gaze upon that winter sea and reflect. 

Such wonderful descriptions..  Not the filler fluff that can be distracting, but those that add color and texture and make the story richer.  Fluids transitions between past and present, author and characters.  Found it very hard to put down and had to make myself SLOOOOW down and  savor every detail..   Though classified as historical fiction.. I found the fictional characters as real as the non-fictional characters and events.  Learned additional information about pre-Culloden Scotland.  Wonderful balance of story and character development with a romantic edge.

I have rated many books as "loved" with 5 stars, and I truly did love them..  BUT, having read this novel, certainly makes me re-evaluate some of my reviews and reset the bar for 5 stars.   This one far exceeded many.  Cannot recommend enough.... SHOUTING IT FROM THE EDGE OF THE CLIFFS AT CASTLE SLAIN.

"Where e' er' I go, my soul shall stay with thee:
'Tis but my Shadow that I take away."

No comments:

Post a Comment