Jean-Marie's bookshelf: read

Mistress by Mistake
The Bride
The Winter Sea
Three Weeks in Paris
The Secret
The Duke's perfect wife
The Many Sins of Lord Cameron
Lady Isabella's scandalous marriage
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie


Jean-Marie's favorite books »

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Things that make my kindle feel like home

I have seen much debate on kindle vs books..  I must say that I fought getting a kindle for many years... In my mind I was killing the written word and playing a part in the demise of the bookstore.  I love the appearance, touch, feel and even smell of a good book... esp a gently loved edition.  I am all about a hardcover or large style paperbacks with its corners slightly dog-eared.  My favorite way to spend the day is perusing a bookstore, (esp used) with a coffee or hot tea in hand.  The beautiful covers are artwork and make my senses tingle.  To what magical place can I travel upon opening the cover...

This past Christmas my father and step-mother bought me the kindle touch.. and I was instantly in love.  With a few alterations/additions... (photos below) a cover for the feeling and appearance of a book and a skin to give it a visual appeal of a cover... not to mention a bit of girlie bling ;)

I love my kindle because
  • It is lightweight and  can travel everywhere
  • I can read/carry more that one book at a time and never lose my place
  • Easy to read with my tired and ever aging eyes...can change font size
  • Easy to read in bed, no matter which way I am lying
  • Love the ability to access definitions and translations with one touch of a finger 
  • Can highlight passages and "dog-ear" pages without actually damaging the book
  • No creases in the book spines.. a bit OCD I admit, but I hate damaging the covers
  • I can get "MY FIX" at 2 am when I NEED the next book in a series and the stores are closed
  • Reading in a crowd and no one has to know what I am reading
  • My kiddos are unable to see my less than G-rated covers...hehehe

My fears about the modern age of e-books
  • The demise of the bookstore, but esp used bookstores
  • The gradual decrease in book supply and possible demise of the public library as we know it
  • My children's children never knowing what it is like to enter a library or bookstore and never knowing the bliss of holding a little piece of heaven known as the BOOK


I have linked my kindle to my public library via the READS program.. 
for those living in Tennessee 

I still visit my public library and check out books
I still go to bookstores both new and used and buy the occasional morsel
BUT I DO LOVE MY KINDLE


cover 




No comments:

Post a Comment